Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Following Instructions



Many years ago I was the manager of a college cafeteria. I loved that job I help me to know many people and work with students from all over the world. That very thing made my job sometimes challenging because of the communication issues. The most challenging issue was to make bread. We made our bread every day but consistency was hard when you had different people baking every day.
Hace algunos anos trabaje como administradora de una cafeteria en una universidad. Me encantaba mi trabajo pues tenia la oportunidad de conocer muchas personas y trabajar con estudiantes de todo el mundo. Esta misma oportunidad presentaba dificultades cuando uno trata de comunicarse y dar instrucciones. Lo mas dificil era hacer el pan. Nosotros haciamos pan diario pero aveces no era muy consistente.
We had the same instructions and we thought we all follow them the same, but when asking them what they exactly did it was a different story. Anyway, I learn to make bread or so I thought. for several years I had this problem that my bread wasn't rising and it came always flat. I almost always tried different recipes; then a few months ago while reading instruction for a recipe I discover my mistake. I let my bread rise on top of the old stove which has the gas pilot on all the time. Well you do not let your bread be over a 115 F area while rising. I was killing the yeast! dah!
Teniamos las mismas instrucciones y pensabamos que seguiamos lo mismo, pero al preguntar que era lo que exactamente hacian se convertia en otra historia. En fin, Aprendi a hacer pan, o eso pense. Por muchos anos tube el problema de que mi pan no crecia se quedaba todo apachurrado, casi siempre probaba una receta diferente, pero hace algunos meses cuando leia una receta decia que dejaramos subir la masa en un lugar en donde no pasara 46 C. bueno pues me di cuenta de que estaba matando la levadura pues dejaba mi pan crecer arriba de la estufa con el piloto de gas encendido y pasaba de 46 grados.
So simple, such a easy common sense principle that I knew (or so I thought).
And sometimes when sewing and crafting we think we are following instructions correctly and it does not urn the way we think.
Algo tan simple, quecualquiera con sentido comun sabria pero no fue asi.
Avees eso nos pasa cuando cosemos o hacemos manualidades pensamos que estamos siguiendo las instrucciones correctamente y no nos sale de la forma en que deberia.

Well, Now I do not have problems with my bread and the other day I sign up to bring dinner rolls for a Church activity. The rolls looked wonderful. I just wish I had the pattern to make this beautiful basket (set of 3) that a good friend gave me.
Bueno, ahora ya no tengo problemas con mi pan asi es que el otro dia me apunte para llevar roles a una actividad de mi Iglesia. Los roles se veia muy bien, solo desearia saber como hacer esta canasta (set de 3) que una amiga me regalo.
Have a great day
Erika

1 comment:

Monika said...

the rolls look BEAUTIFUL!!! MMM