Saturday, July 31, 2010

Backwards

It seems like sometimes I do things backwards. When I first started quilting and sewing a little bit more than 5 years ago I visit a quilting shop with a beautiful wall hanging quilt perfect for a wedding gift for Monika. As a novice in this art I wasn't sure if I could do it, but Darlette taught me how to do it. I later found out that it was a quite complicated piece. later when I made different projects using paper piecing I really understood I started with the hardest on paper piecing LOL.
Parece que aveces hago ls cosas alrevez, aprendo alguna nueva tecnica y hago primero lo mas dificil y despues trabajos mucho menos complicados. Cuando empeze a acolchar y a coser hace mas de cinco anos visite una tienda con unos acolchados para la pared perfectos para un regalo para Monika en su boda, como novat en este arte no sabia si podria hacerlo paro Darlette me enseno y ete fue mi primer trabajo en paper piecing. despues hice diferentes projectos pero nada tan complicado. Later I made another of this paper piecing wall hanger for my dad when he was called to be a bishop in our Church, and now for my brother's wedding one of the gifts I made was the same Mexico City Temple that I did to dad (he is getting married there). Monika got Spokane, Washington Temple.
Despues hice otro trabajo con paper piecing para mi papa cuando lo llamaron como Obispo en nuestra Iglesia, y ahora que mi hermano se casa hice el mismo Templo de la ciudad de Mexico que es en donde se casara. El de Monika es el templo de Spokane, Washington.You might notice the huge difference in the quilting skills. Also the Mexico City Temple has a lot of detail resembling an Aztec/Mayan pyramid. five years later I can see the progress. I coudn't find a picture of my dad's Temple sorry.
I quilt this using Lea Day's fillings swirling feathers for the sky, I just love it. left turn, right turn for some of the middle triangle, and flames for the grass. I added many other designs to mimic the real building.
Se han de dar cuanta en coo los dos templos estan acolchados de una manera muy diferente cinco anos de experencia hacen una gran diferencia. El Templo de la Ciudad de Mexico tiene mucho detalle pues reasambla una piramide Azteca/Maya. No encontre foto del que le hice a mipapa lo siento.
Lo acolche usando algunos fillings de Lea Day swirling feathers para el cielo, que me facino. Left turn, right turn para un detalle en la parte triangular del templo y flames para el pasto. ademas otros disenos para que se pareciera al original I also did trapunto on the temple and it made the whole difference.
Tambien use la tecnica de trapunto en todo el edificio y le subio muchoel detalle.

Happy Quilting
Erika

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mexico temple wall hanging is so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing it.
from PA, Calif.

Anonymous said...

I've just gotta say... Erika's skills have jumped ahead. When she showed me this latest temple quilt, I not only had the hardest time figuring out the complexity of what I was looking at, I could scarcely imagine how she did it. It was virtually impossible for me, a total quilting landlubber, to imagine, 'Now how did she do that?' --The Chubby Hubby